Falls Prevention Programme
What are falls prevention programmes and why do we need them?
Research shows that about one-third of people over 65 will fall in a year, rising to approximately half of those aged 80 and over. Falls destroy confidence, increase isolation and reduce independence, with 9 per cent of older people who fall become afraid to leave their homes in case they fall again. Current research by Age UK shows that a tailored exercise programme can reduce an individual’s risk of falling by up to 50 per cent.
The government advises older people to aim to be active every day and to:
- • build up to two-and-a-half hours per week of moderate
intensity activity (activities that get you breathing harder and your heart pumping faster)
- • do activities that improve muscle strength at least twice a week
- • do some activities that improve balance and co-ordination twice a week.
At London Home Physio we can teach you and work through these exercises with you.
Why choose London Home Physio for your falls prevention programme?
- •We carry out a full assessment to determine what is causing you to have falls. We aim to build your confidence if you have a fear of falling.
- •We will assess your muscle strength, range of movement of your joints, your balance, coordination, and your mobility along with other functional movements.
- •We assess your walking aids to see if they are the most appropriate for you and we will advise you on what is most suitable.
- •We assess your home environment to determine if there are any trip hazards.
- •We advise you on equipment that we think may benefit you in your home environment.
- •We provide you with an exercise programme that is printed clearly with pictures and easy for you to follow when you are on your own or with your carer or family member.
- •We write to your GP if medical problems need to be addressed.
0207 096 0684